Types of colorectal cancer surgery
Colorectal cancer is the main issue for more than 140,000 people all over the world in a year. In most cases, this type of cancer is treated with surgery so the doctor removes the tumor.
There are several types of colorectal cancer:
– Adenocarcinomas of the rectum and the colon. It is the most common type
– Gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor
– Primary colorectal lymphomas
– Gastrointestinal stromal tumors
There are many best colorectal cancer doctors worldwide, but it’s hard to find the one that you can trust unconditionally. Gladly for you, we have a list of the best colorectal cancer hospitals and doctors that can help you based on your budget.
There are several types of surgeries that doctors conduct to cure colorectal cancer.
Types of colorectal cancer surgeries:
– Polypectomy. It is a minor surgery where polyps (tiny lumps on the inner part of the colon) are removed during a regular colonoscopy. Colonoscopy is a regular procedure that is done with a colonoscope that inserts into the rectum. It helps to observe the colon and rectum to see the issues.
– Local excision. During this procedure, the doctor removes cancer and some rectum tissue. Such a procedure is done through the anus or a specialist creates a small cut in the rectum.
– Resection. During this procedure, the part or all colon is removed as well as cancer and its tissues.
– Laparoscopic surgery is a modern, minimally invasive method of surgical treatment, in which operations on internal organs are performed through small (5 to 15 mm) punctures on the body, while traditional abdominal surgery requires large incisions.
The main advantage of laparoscopy that it is less traumatic and the period of postoperative rehabilitation of the patient is quite fast.
In the best colorectal cancer hospitals several types of surgeries are conducted that treat cancer:
– Partial colectomy. During this procedure, the doctor removes only the part of the colon. After a while, the bowel habits will go back to normal, just like before cancer.
– Ileocolectomy. In this case, the right part of the colon (ileum) is removed.
– Abdominoperineal resection. During this surgery, the anus, rectum, and sigmoid colon are removed. After such a procedure, the patient permanently uses a colostomy.
– Proctosigmoidectomy. In this case, the rectum part and sigmoid colon are removed.
– Full abdominal colectomy. This surgery removes the entire large intestine.
– Full proctocolectomy. During this surgery, the rectum and the colon are removed. If the doctor has a chance to say anus – it is the patient’s lucky day. However, in most cases, the anus is damaged and it is also removed.
Most hospitals worldwide provide patients with the best treatment and have hi-tech technology to do their best to save lives. CloudHospital is here to help you to pick the right hospital for the treatment you deserve. Together we will discuss countries, hospitals, and doctors so each patient gets the best medical service for a specific budget.